Laser Hair Removal Treatment In Grand Rapids, MI
What to Expect and how to Prepare.
You have decided to begin the journey of laser hair removal! Grand Rapids, MI residents trust us to provide all the information they need on this process. We also serve the Western Michigan, Hudsonville, Kentwood, Wyoming, Kent County, and Ottawa County areas. As you begin, we want to explain everything you need to know to make this an exciting, enjoyable experience. We’re here to make sure you know exactly what to expect as treatment progresses. Please read carefully & follow instructions strictly before reaching out to our medical spa.
For best results, you will need to make a series of appointments with us to get started with laser hair removal. Grand Rapids, MI residents can make these appointments according to a 6-10 week schedule, depending on the area being treated. The laser destroys only hair roots that are in the active growth phase. The number of treatments needed depends upon the amount and character of the hair. Before you begin your body hair removal treatment, you will need to come in for unshaven pre-treatment photos. After those photos have been taken, you should shave prior to each appointment.
Try not to schedule your appointment before or during your period. Treatment tends to be more painful at this time. Some of our patients prefer to use a topical anesthetic. Please ask our staff if you would like to make use of this available option. You will be given detailed application instructions to follow while using the cream.
Prior to laser hair removal, Grand Rapids, MI patients are required to disclose certain information. If you are on antibiotics, we will need to schedule your appointment approximately two weeks after you have finished your medication. Your skin may be unusually sensitive at this time. Also, if you are using retin-A, retinols, glycolic, or salicylic acid topical products (such as Pro-Active) you will need to discontinue these products at least two weeks before beginning any hair removal treatments on the face or neck.
How long do treatments take?
For laser hair removal, Grand Rapids, MI clients often make appointments that last 30 – 90 minutes, depending on the number or size of the areas being treated. Please arrive on time, as treatment appointments must follow a strict schedule. We will prepare your skin for treatments as follows:
- We will cleanse the treatment area of any make-up, lotions, or topical anesthetic.
- We will place a cold ultrasound gel on the area to be treated.
- After treatment is complete, cold compresses will be placed on the skin for cooling.
What will happen after the treatment?
After the laser hair removal, Grand Rapids, MI clients often wonder how their skin will be affected.
Your skin will be red and bumpy for an average of 1-3 hours after treatment. Continue using cold compresses as needed.
- After your treatment, some hairs will expel immediately. Others will take 1-2 weeks to fall out. This is the shedding process.
- After shedding, you should experience little or no growth for several weeks. New hairs begin to grow as the next group of hairs move into the active growth cycle.
- Re-growth will possibly be lighter, finer and/or scattered.
What can I expect after my treatment package is complete?
- We cannot guarantee 100% removal of hair. No laser or technology can promise 100% hair removal because many factors that influence hair growth are out of our control. However, with rare exception, most patients can achieve approximately 70-90% permanent hair reduction.
- After the completion of your laser hair removal, Grand Rapids, MI patients may find that they need additional treatments. Typically, it is not unusual to require a touch-up treatment once a year.
For more information on body hair removal treatment from Carlson Laser Aesthetics, contact us today!